Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Primal/Paleo Pizza


My wife and I started following a paleo/primal type diet last summer. We have been off and on since then, and have had quite a bit of success. We have recently committed to actually being committed to primal (she wants to wait until after Christmas). One thing we have loved about the switch is all of the cooking. I have started posting a lot of my food photos on instagram, and am now getting the comments of "recipe please." I decided it would be nice to be able to link to a blog with the recipe. I also rarely follow the recipes I find online or in a book because I rarely have all of the items they suggest, so these are usually variations. Plus I would like to throw my hat into the primal/paleo blogger ring. 


So I was on the Atkin's diet with a lot of success during my junior/senior year of high school. My friends and I all loved pizza. We would get a serious meat pizza from Donato's and dig in. Once I switched to Atkin's I stopped eating the crust. For some reason people hated seeing me take the toppings off. It was almost as if they felt bad for the crust, and would become violently angry if the crust was thrown away or wasted. Now that I've gone primal, we've made pizza using eggplants for the bottom, and like it okay, but it doesn't remind me of pizza in the days when grains were okay, it does feel like the Atkin's diet pizza of toppings only though. 


My wife's obsession with Pintrest (let's not even get started on how primal it is to spend hours on an iPad looking at pictures) led us to this recipe for a primal/paleo coconut crust:


Here is her recipe if you don't want to click on the above link, but I would also check out her page for more recipes (I haven't yet, but this is so good that I probably will soon). 

"Coconut Flour Pizza Crust 

3 eggs
1 Cup of Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp Italian Seasoning

Pre-Heat Oven to 375
Line a 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and brush one with olive oil. This is a MUST! You can't make this without the parchment paper or you will have a stuck-on mess!
Beat the eggs and coconut milk until well mixed. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until well combined. Pour Batter onto oil-prepped parchment paper and smooth into a round pizza shape. 
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and place your second parchment lined cookie sheet on top of the pizza dough. Flip dough onto the new cookie sheet, remove the old parchment and place dough back into the oven for 10 minutes."
So my amendments to the recipe. Last night we tried the recipe again, but only had 2 eggs, so I used the 2 eggs, and it turned out just as good, so unless you are wanting an extra bit of protein you can do two eggs. I also like to melt butter and garlic salt together and then brush it on the crust after flipping the pizza. We also put it back in the oven for five minutes after flipping, and then remove and put on our toppings. We also only have one round cookie sheet, so we carefully flip using the parchment paper. It adds for a bit more excitement in the kitchen. 
I don't want to tell you specifics on toppings, because you can really put anything you want. We did one with pepperoni, mushroom, onion, banana peppers, and spinach, and then a Haiwain style, plus bacon and banana peppers. 
I know some people are hesitant to use tomato paste, but I like it for pizza sauce. I spread it around on the crust and then sprinkle oregano and basil all around it and voila! pizza sauce. I'm sure any sauce you like would work. So I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions and check back again as I hope to really start updating more. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Pizza King uses tomato paste for their sauce. When I worked there, one of my least favorite jobs was making the sauce, which consisted of adding one to one ratios of sauce and water together in a tub and whisking it. Gross, but lots of Indiana natives love the hell out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this coconut flour pizza crust for dinner tonight. It came out great! I followed the recipe exactly, as well as your suggestion of brushing melted butter with garlic salt on the crust. We topped it with homemade bbq sauce, chicken, red onions and cheese. So glad to finally put my pizza stone back to work after being shoved in a drawer since going primal. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete