Thursday, December 8, 2011

Easy Primal Apple Cinnamon Muffins


  As my wife and I try to find our place cooking like our ancestors, it may be important to talk for a  minute about what this means. There have been hundreds of blog posts on the topic of evolutionary biology and nutrition and what this means for us, so I won't even attempt to try to summarize all of that work, after all, this is a blog about recipes right???? Instead i'll give a few interesting links that give a glimpse into the stuff that I'm reading on a daily basis, and that is helping shape my mind. And don't worry it will be short and sweet, much like those delicious looking muffins on your left. So here it is: Humans ate one way for a very long time, and then recently changed. This has been bad.

 For me this is the site, that started it all. Mark Sisson, posts a blog nearly every day and millions of people visit this website to learn about nutrition and health. Mark is the author of The Primal Blueprint, and it is from his lifestyle that I get the name "Primal" (of course he did not make this name up, but when you are distinguishing between ancestral diets "primal" refers to this one)

 I think i'll hold off on other blogs and books for now, because I'm afraid I'm starting to get boring, but maybe i'll throw something in each post about another blog that would be good to visit. Okay so here we go.


I should also note, that I pretty much just made up this recipe on the spot, with what we had in the fridge and pantry because Alison was hungry and wanted something "non-primal" like. So that usually means some type of baked good.

Ingredients
  • 1 Apple (I think that you can choose whichever kind you like best)
  • Cinnamon (if you haven't noticed yet, some ingredients I use           without measurement, cinnamon is one of those ingredients)
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 1 cup of coconut flour
  • 1 cup of half & half
  • 1/3 cup of full fat sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • Honey (this is going to depend on how sweet you want it, I try to avoid making things too sweet so probably used about 2 to 3 tbsp)
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Chop up apples into small cubes (if you're good, but if you're like me probably just chopping into any shape will work)
  • Put apples, some cinnamon, and butter into a skillet and cook on medium heat, you only need to cook these until you have the other ingredients mixed together
  • In a larger bowl, mix together all other ingredients (it's important to mix the coconut flour with the liquids slowly so that it does not lump, so make sure you whisk vigorously (yes, vigorously)). I also put in more cinnamon at this time, but didn't measure.
  • Once all ingredients are mixed, pour the apple mixture into the bowl and mix together well (The purpose of cooking the apples first is to heighten some of those flavors together and create softer apples to bite into, i'm sure you could probably do it without cooking them, but this is what I wanted to do).
  • Put the ingredients in muffin pans, sprinkle on some more cinnamon, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (the reason for this discrepancy is that we did just make these for the first time, and last night they were good after 30 minutes, but this morning I wondered if they may have been a little more like muffins if I had left them in a few more minutes. This might have also made them fall apart though and taste really dry since coconut flour has the tendency to do that, so on the safe side go with 32. haha)
So i'm hoping you'll try this recipe out, tweak it; however, you like. I think the more I get into baking this way, it becomes interesting that things start to come together. I would have never guessed to put some of this stuff in, but from other recipes, have just learned a few things that work. I am in no ways a chef, but I like taking pictures and I like cooking. Try it out and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Where can you find coconut flour in Muncie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only found it one time here, and that was at TJ Max in there sort of weird this isn't a grocery store, but we have some types of groceries section. We also bought it from Whole Foods down in Indy. I'm not sure if the health food store has some or not, and I'm also not sure if Meijer's carries it as well. I've seen them carry a lot of that "Red ___" (can't remember the name) label and that is the brand of coconut flour we got at Whole Foods before.

    ReplyDelete